Re: DOS Fdisk doesn't see Linux partitions

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Ken Gaugler wrote:
> Also, DOS reports that D: (the dos partition on the second drive)
> as being 1.2Gigs -- that is how big the whole drive is.  DOS
> doesn't see the Linux partitions there at all.  I know they are there,
> I am running them right now as I type this!

Perhaps you have fallen foul of the fact that DOS is broken w.r.t.
partitions. Specifically, DOS reads information /inside/ the partition
about its configuration instead of believing the partition table.

If you create a DOS partition (not using DOS's FDISK, which takes care of
matters), you have to zero out a small section of it so that DOS will be
forced to use the partition table info.

Unfortunately, I'm typing this away from the documentation which expounds
all this. I think it's somewhere in the LILO documentation, but can't be
sure.

Take care!
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151