Re: DOS Fdisk doesn't see Linux partitions

d1temp@lerum.mail.telia.com wrote:

> On 10 May, Ken Gaugler wrote:
> >

> [partition problems]
>
> Hello!
>
> Sad to say I can only offer this very general advice (which you may
> already have heard and followed; in that case ignore me ;-)
>
> Always delete and create partitions with the corresponding OS's fdisk,
> ie create/delete DOS/95 partitions with DOS fdisk etc.
>
> In particular DOS/95 can get confused and write on disk areas it's not
> supposed to touch... _Beware_ of running DOS/95 while it thinks the
> entire hdb is DOS, it might very well overwrite Linux stuff...
>
> About the ordering; are the later partitions on hda extended/logical
> instead of primary? Could be that DOS lists primary partitions before
> extended/logical ones... Not that I'm sure, only use 2 DOS/95
> partitions myself and they're hda2 and hdc1 (hdb is CD-player)
>
> /Michael
> --
> |                Linux: Turn on...Tune in...Fork out...                 |
> |    Michael Tempsch, member of Ballistic Wizards, TIP#088, TDGP#20     |
> | d1temp@dtek.chalmers.se | [d1temp@hotmail.com] | [d1temp@bigfoot.com] |
> |   Cell.Phone:+46 705487554  URL:http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d1temp   |

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

This is really odd, but as it turns out, only the Win95 file utilities
like Explorer, Winfile, chkdsk and Scandisk report the full Gig as
belonging to DOS.  If I run DOS fdisk, it shows the DOS partition
as being the correct size (375 Megs) and it also shows 3 non-dos
partitions.

Fortunately I still have the old disk with my original Debian setup
on it; if I have to I will start fooling around with dos/linux fdisk
and see what happens.  Sure would like to avoid having to do the
copy again.

--

Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng/
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."