Re: DOS Fdisk doesn't see Linux partitions

Any good book on DOS internals will explain the partition behavior.  DOS
looks for primary partitions first.  Since DOS only allows one primary
partition on each disk, it finds the primary partition on the first
drive, and then looks at each succeeding drive for a primary DOS
partition in the partition table.  After it's done that, it goes back to
the first disk and examines the contents of the extended partitions.  It
assigns drive letters to any logical DOS partiotns it finds.  It
continues on to each succesive disk and repeats this step.

As far as your second question goes ... that's weird.  Did you create
the partition with DOS fdisk or Linux?  I personally have never had
problems with making DOS partitions with Linux fdisk, but I have heard
of folks who have.  What version of DOS are you running?  Have you tried
reformatting that partition?  I personally would be wary of DOS trying
to write to part of the disk that it's not supposed to be messing with.

- --
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff
Key fingerprint = CE 03 10 AF 32 81 18 58  9D 32 C2 AB 93 6D C4 72
- --