Re: dselect and updating the system

> On Sat, 10 May 1997, Lawrence Chim wrote:
>
> > Gernot wrote:
> > >
> > > When I start dselect (using the ftp-method) I get a list of available
> > > "Updated Standard packages". This list tells me that there are new
> > > versions of my installed components available, they are marked with the
> > > asterix (*) but they are not installed when I try to install them
> > > (selection 3 in dselect). Is this the way the whole thing should work or
> > > am I missing something?
> > >

> > Occasionally, I have this problem and I simply wrote down the packages
> > and install
> > them using dpkg manually :)

> This will work if the packages are reported missing during install.  I got
> the idea he was sayin they don't even show up for install which is a
problem, I think.

> Try using "<shift> G" or ":" in select on the line that says Updated  > packages etc...  That is the upgrade/unhold command.
>
> If they are coming up missing during install it means the file names are
> off.  Usually a new version has replaced the one in the package list
> making the name "somepkg.1.0.1-2" wrong because it's now named
> "somepkg.1.0.1-3".  In which case you do have to d/l them manually.
>
> Hope this helps.

Ok. Here's a trace of my problem when I want to install newer packages
than those already installed ones... (sorry for my bad english)

When I try to SELECT packages I get the following:

> ------- Updated Standard packages in section libs -------
>  *** Std libs     libbfd2.7.0. 2.7.0.9-2   2.7.0.9-3   The GNU Binary File Descr
>     ----- Updated Optional packages -----
>     ------- Updated Optional packages in section base -------
>  *** Opt base     kernel-image 3           4           Linux kernel   binary image
>     ------- Updated Optional packages in section devel -------
>  *** Opt devel    kernel-heade 3           4           Linux kernel headers.
>  *** Opt devel    kernel-sourc 3           4           Linux kernel source.
>    ------- Updated Optional packages in section libs -------
>  *** Opt libs     libhdf4      4.0.2-2     4.0.2-3     The Hierarchical Data For

All those packages are marked for install (and they are newer than the
packages already installed).

>  * 3. [I]nstall     Install and upgrade wanted packages.
>
> Processing status file...
>
> Processing Package files...
>  stable...
>  non-free...
>  contrib...
>
> Constructing list of files to get...
>
> Approximate total space required: 0k
> Available space in debian: 243871k
> Nothing to get.
> Processing downloaded files...(for corrupt/old/partial)
>
> Do you want to install the files fetched [y]:
>
> dpkg: searched, but found no packages (files matching *.deb)
> DPKG ERROR
> Do you wish to delete the installed package (.deb) files? [y]:

???

Does this look familiar for someone?

Gernot