Re: dselect and updating the system

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Lawrence Chim wrote:

> Gernot wrote:
> >
> > When I start dselect (using the ftp-method) I get a list of available
> > "Updated Standard packages". This list tells me that there are new
> > versions of my installed components available, they are marked with the
> > asterix (*) but they are not installed when I try to install them
> > (selection 3 in dselect). Is this the way the whole thing should work or
> > am I missing something?
> >

> Occasionally, I have this problem and I simply wrote down the packages
> and install
> them using dpkg manually :)

This will work if the packages are reported missing during install.  I got
the idea he was sayin they don't even show up for install which is a
problem, I think.

Try using "<shift> G" or ":" in select on the line that says Updated
packages etc...  That is the upgrade/unhold command.

If they are coming up missing during install it means the file names are
off.  Usually a new version has replaced the one in the package list
making the name "somepkg.1.0.1-2" wrong because it's now named
"somepkg.1.0.1-3".  In which case you do have to d/l them manually.

Hope this helps.

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net