Re: year-2000 testing

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Sam Ockman wrote:

> Message from Bruce Perens (bruce@pixar.com):
> > If you can do so, please try running your system with the date in the year
> > 2000 for a while. Richard Stallman asked if we had tested that GNU software
> > is free of year-2000 problems, and I think it's a good idea.

> It seems like the problems, if any, would probably be more problems from
> the actual roll-over from the year 1999 to 2000, so probably the best thing
> would be to set your computer's date to Dec. 31, 1999, and see what
> happens to your processes when it hits midnight.

That might test the kernel and the hardware/firmware, but I think plenty
of problems in programs only surface during the next millenium. For
example, some misfeatures of my own software concerned machine generated
filenames that should collate in date order, but I didn't include the
century (back in 1986) because I was squeezing it all into DOS-compatible
filenames (and didn't think the instruments concerned would still be
running into the next century...).
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151