Re: PPP Dialup

LinuxBOX wrote:

> I would prefer to avoid a firewall.  Infact that is why we have chosen a
> lynix box.  We had a firewall solution before, but we anted to hook it up
> so that it will work as a notmal dialup conetion.
>
> On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > LinuxBOX wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently configured my linux box to act as a Dialup PPP Server.  However
> > > I can only see the linux box itself.  THe Linux box has an ethernet
> > > conection to the internet and I would realy like to be able to acces the
> > > rest of the net with the dialup ppp sesion.  Could anyone tell me what I
> > > failed to do?
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Well, if you have an IP for dialin which is on the same subnet (the net
> > on
> > your ethernet) as the Linux box, all you need is the 'proxyarp' option
> > to pppd. If you can't use an IP on this subnet, further discussion will
> > be necessary but let's defer that until necessary.
> >
> > --
> > Jens B. Jorgensen
> > jjorgens@bdsinc.com

Yup, proxyarp is what you want. Just put 'proxyarp' in your options
file or on the pppd command line. All that's required is that the
IP assigned to the remote end of the dial-up link (not the one with
the ethernet) is withing the subnet which the ethernet is on.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com