Re: Setting Up btmp

Paul Serice <ugs@laci.net> writes:

> I've since deleted /var/log/btmp to get back to the Debian default.
> Knowing nothing about anything, I was wondering if someone could fill
> me in on why Debian defaults to no btmp.

I don't know anything about why the Debian crew decided to remove btmp,
but from my own experience a lot of people fumbles when they log in, and
as a result they type inn the password instead of the username.

Thus you can often find both the account-name and the password if you
do "lastb".

--
   Vebjorn Forsmo   vebjorn@mo.hiMolde.no  vebjorn@hsr.no   vforsmo@sn.no
 80 13 6B 4B 7C 83 B7 DC  5C 9C A8 AE C0 AD 22 F4  2048/00952325 1995/05/13