Setting Up btmp

There was another question in the list regarding logging, and it got
me to wondering about my setup.  When I did "lastb", I got a message
about /var/log/btmp not existing: "Perhaps this file was removed by
the operator to prevent logging lastb info."

So all I did was drop down to /var/log and "touch btmp". lastb worked
fine afterward.

I've since deleted /var/log/btmp to get back to the Debian default.
Knowing nothing about anything, I was wondering if someone could fill
me in on why Debian defaults to no btmp.

Thanks
Paul Serice