Re: Memory Gobbler

At 09:20 AM 4/21/97 +1200, Richard L Shepherd wrote:

>Yes I have read that too.  However it does see the memory (when I put
>"mem=128M" on the boot line). I'm not sure that cache isn't the problem,
>though.  It went so well for 3 weeks, then started to go downhill.  This
>w/e it killed itself completely!  I arrived yesterday afternoon to find
>the screen filled with messages "out of memory for bash"  and other
>commands too.  There was no response from any means, so I had to push the
>reset button and start again....bummer!

I had similar problems with the kernel on the install disks.  If I let the
system sit for a day or so (386 with 8M), I would get a bunch of "Couldn't
get a free page" messages.  After rebuilding the kernel for my hardware,
the message hasn't come back.  I've also seen this message on a 486 with
16M, it just took a couple of days to show up.  I beleive that there is
some sort of a memory leak in the kernel as distributed.

-- Matt