ftpd rejects all users !

I reinstalled debian last week from scratch, and I see today that I can't
connect to my box per ftp, even from itself.

here is a transcript of a typical session :

bash> ftp lebrun
Connected to lebrun.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de.
220 lebrun FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Name (lebrun:lebrun):
530 User lebrun access denied.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

(/etc/ftpusers don't mention lebrun. I didn't change it ).

I use bo with netstd 2.13-1  and netbase 2.10-1

telnet, rlogin, nfsd are working well.

I already experienced this problem with slackware, but at this time I was
about to change to ELF so I reinstalled from scratch.

Now I have a brand new debian and I want to understand what's happening.

Any help appreciated.

Alexandre