Re: Mounting a floppy

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:31:56 EDT "Christian Hudon"
(chudon@ee.mcgill.ca) wrote:

> > Here it is: man mount.
> > Explained a little further:
> > add a line like this in /etc/fstab:
> >   /dev/fd0 /floppy msdos rw,uid=0,gid=25,noauto,user,umask=007
> >
> > Now everyone can mount and umount the floppy, but only the users
> > belonging to group floppy (GID 25) will be able to read and write it
> > (this what the umask command does).
>
> Hmm. Is there any way to do this for cdrom's too? I'd like to restrict
> access to whatever is mounted under /cdrom to a given group.

Yes, of course. Pick a GID, replace /dev/fd0 by /dev/cdrom (or
whatever the cdrom device is), and replace the gid=25 by something
else.

> Btw, affs is providing a feature equivalent to msdos's umask, except that
> they called it 'mode' instead. I'd be nice if the option names were
> consistent... Would should I talk to about that?

Wrong !
Affs mode switch changes all files permissions to the given mode (from the mount manpage). The msdos and iso9660 fs have umask, which is a mask specifying the bits to discard on the existing permissions.
Subtle difference ! :-)

Phil.