Re: ongoing drama: nis problems

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:11:04 PDT Michael J Devine (pirate@cet.com)
wrote:

> Through the diligent efforts of this support list, I have nearly conquered
> the nis problem... almost.
> I have the two machines (server and client) talking, but only insofar as
> sharing a password file.  The user can't access his/her files if s/he logs
> in on the client machine...

Er, NIS is only supposed to share passwords (and other config stuff too). TO share filesystems, you're wanting into NFS.
See rpc.nfsd, exports, mount, nfs manpages.
In short:

  Add this line to your server's export:
	/home  *.<your domain>  (rw)
     Then reboot, or do /etc/init.d/netstd_nfs start

  Add this line to your client's fstab:
	<server's name>:/home /home nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,bg,intr
     Then do mount -a.

You must have NFS in your client's kernel (or as a module).

But *first* read the manpages. NFS can be a security problem is badly configured !

Phil.