Re: routing setup question

> > On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>  [ all my config info deleted ]

Let me comment: Except for one minor flaw, those configs are working. The
only flaw in there was, that in the setup for icemark, the route to
firefranc needs to be a host route (root add -host ${FIREFRANC} eth0)
instead of a net route (route add -net ${NETWORK} eth0). The net route
resulted in me being unable to reach other thenet hosts, like for instance
www.thenet.ch...

Apart from that Jens help was exactly what I asked for...

> What if Benedikt needs two hosts connected because he intends to run DNS
> and has to have a primary and secondary server in order to register his
> own domains?  This *would* *not* *work* using IP masq or transparent
> proxying.
Excellent guess, because that is *exactly* what I needed this information
for... ;)
Setting up the nameservers will be the next job.

> That said, looking at a DNS dump from thenet.ch, if hostnames are any
> indication of allocated addresses, it would appear that only 27
> addresses within 193.135.252 are currently used, so they could do this
> without much pain.
Nope, actually most addresses are in use, the 193.135.252 net is also used
for their dialins. The 27 registered names are the only *fixed* numbers in
there.

   Benedikt

signoff
---
 Benedikt Eric Heinen  -  Muehlemattstrasse 53  -  CH3007 Bern  -   SWITZERLAND
                          email: beh@icemark.thenet.ch