Re: routing setup question

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

> > > On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> >  [ all my config info deleted ]
>
> Let me comment: Except for one minor flaw, those configs are working. The
> only flaw in there was, that in the setup for icemark, the route to
> firefranc needs to be a host route (root add -host ${FIREFRANC} eth0)
> instead of a net route (route add -net ${NETWORK} eth0). The net route
> resulted in me being unable to reach other thenet hosts, like for instance
> www.thenet.ch...

that's what i said would happen.

> Apart from that Jens help was exactly what I asked for...

good.  i'm glad changing it to a host route worked.

> > What if Benedikt needs two hosts connected because he intends to
> > run DNS and has to have a primary and secondary server in order to
> > register his own domains? This *would* *not* *work* using IP masq or
> > transparent proxying.

yes, as i said there are some limitations to IPmasq...and this is one of
them. However it's not, IMO, a big problem because that isn't something
you *should* be trying to do anyway.

> Excellent guess, because that is *exactly* what I needed this
> information for... ;) Setting up the nameservers will be the next job.

That's a bad way of doing DNS. if your link is down, no one will be able
to resolve hostnames in your domain (e.g. to forward mail to one of your
MX hosts...probably your ISP, or even to connect to a virtual web server
which you have hosted at a site with a much faster link).

Secondaries should be on different networks. Preferably on completely
different network paths.

Why not just ask someone (or several someones!) to secondary for you?
You'll probably find that most linux users near you with a permanent net
connection will be happy to do it. Ask in a local newsgroup or mailing
list or something.

Even if you can't find some altruistic soul, i'm sure you could find
other people who also need a secondary who dont want to pay some
outrageous sum for 2 seconds worth of editing their named config file.
Swap secondary services with them.

Craig