more nis problems

My nis server crashed yesterday.  I have re-set it up, following the
nis.debian.howto documantation, re-added my users, and ran make in the
/var/yp directory. Yet when a user tries to login from the client machine,
they get this error:

YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: No bound server for domain <my_domain>

How do I bind a server to <my_domain>?

I have tried telling the client who its master is, according to
nis.debian.howto.  The file says to add a list of servers after the call
to ypbind, like this:

ypbind -S nisserver

I'm not to sure what this means.  I have tried adding the -S switch,
followed by the server name, to a few different calls to ypbind (in the
"test" line, in the "start-stop-daemon line", even in the "echo ypbind "
line). I also have tried to add a new command after the start-stop-daemon
and test lines:

ypbind -S torvalds

torvalds is the server name here. I either get an illegal switch error, in
the case of adding the switch, or get a "another ypbind already running"
error, in the case of the added ypbind call.

If anyone out there sees my glaring mistake, please let me know.  Reply
both to the list and my personal account, please.

Thanks in Advance...

Mike
Eastern Washington University