Re: DEITY TEAM -- Response to call for comments

Alan Davis <adavis@saipan.com> wrote:

>Another thing that would help would be to HAVE ALL FILES IN
>/var/lib/dpkg/info IN GZIPED FORMAT.  My little system now has 893KB in
>that directory, and I have gziped almost all the postinst scripts by hand.

The vast majority of the files in this directory are already smaller
than 1K, so gzipping them would be of dubious benefit. It would be
more beneficial to combine the database into a few files, which would
benefit from compression and also save the time spent scanning
directory entries.

It would probably not be useful to combine the {pre,post}{inst,rm}
files because these are handy to have around, but the list, checksum
and conffiles definitely would benefit, from what I can see.

This is really a dpkg issue, and so of little relevance to Deity.

Tony.