Re: Pentium GCC

On 30 Mar 1997, Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> Maarten Boekhold <M.Boekhold@ET.TUDelft.NL> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just thinking: wouldn't it be a nice idea to have a pgcc package
> > around for ppl who want to get the most out of their pentium? Even if it
> > means the package must be in experimental?
>
> I don't know to what extent it has been integrated, eventually using the -m586
> flag in conjunction with -O? on gcc should optimize for pentiums. IMO there's no
> need for a special compiler version. Correct me if.I'm wrong.
>
> > It would probably be mostly used to recompile kernels, don't know how big
> > of an improvement you could get out of that. Most ppl won't take the
> > trouble of recompiling every single package that have installed :).
> >
> > Just curious, how much would I gain with an 'pentium optimized' kernel?
> > Maybe libc? And X?
>
> I doubt it is worth the hassle of maintaining processor specific binaries -
> YMMV.

I suppose recompiling gcc optimized for the processor would speed it up a
bit.

If you really want more speed, the first things to optimize are kernel
(including modules) and libraries. Notice that many programs that rely on
libc are fairly compact. I'm sure many of them spend more time in library
functions than the program code itself.

Paul Wade - Greenbush Technologies Corporation
http://www.greenbush.com/cds.html
Linux CD's sent worldwide