Re: Problems working with bash.

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

 > If you type, say, "g" then M-p repeatedly you get
 > all command lines that begin with "g".  I use this *all* the time, as
 > an alternative to "!g" because it lets me see if I got the right
 > command line before I hit Enter.

  Still, none of this even begins to compare with the ease of use of
(horror! shock!) the DOS command interpreter 4DOS!  Why use separate
keys like M-p for this, when you've got the arrow keys?  The principle
is this: if you have an empty commandline and you type the up arrow, you
get the previous command.  If you've already typed something, you get
whatever previous command starts with that.  This combines the two
functions that bash uses (and needs two keys for) into one.  I wish I
could convince bash to work like this!

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>