Re: dpkg and shadow

On 20 Mar, Thought wrote:
Re: Hi all, it's me again.  First off thanks for the numerous replies to my
Re: chmodding question :)

[snip]

Re: Here's another quick question:  I have an Iomega Zip drive, and
Re: occasionally I get the message:
Re: sda: Write Protect is off
Re:  sda: sda4
Re: when mounting.  Is there a command out there somewhere to write
Re: protect/unprotect disks?  And why is it sda4 instead of sda1?  (Ooops, I
Re: guess that's two questions!)

There is a package named ziptools, it's not debianized but will let
you change writeprotection and a couple of other things:
* set to readonly
* set to read/write
* query status
* software ejection of disk

Available at http://www.torque.net/ziptool.html

sda4 is because that's the way the disks come from Iomega, why they
format them like that isn't clearly understood (AFAIK).
On those disks that I reformat to ext2, I change the partion table to
sda1 will no ill effects

[snip]

/Michael
--
|                Linux: Turn on...Tune in...Fork out...                 |
|    Michael Tempsch, member of Ballistic Wizards, TIP#088, TDGP#20     |