dpkg and shadow

Hi all, it's me again.  First off thanks for the numerous replies to my
chmodding question :)

Is there a way to make dpkg give me a list (output) of ALL the packages
(installed and not installed) along with their descriptions?  Even just
the short one-liner descriptions?  The reason I'm asking is because
occasionally I want to search for some type of package by a keyword but
I think that the "/" command in dselect only searches the package
filename.  I wanted to do something like
% dpkg --print-all-descriptions-etc | grep -i "shadow"
or something...  Maybe I could go to the
/var/lib/usr/local/bin/hoopdeha/dpkg/debian/wherever and do a grep -i
"shadow" **/* ?  I dunno...  Oh, that reminds me of another question, but
I'll keep it civilized for now :)

Ok, here's another question about shadow..  I got the following files:
shadow-passwd_960810-1_i386.deb
shadow-login_960810-1_i386.deb
shadow-su_960810-1_i386.deb

and used dpkg to install them, and everything works fine, but will I ever
need /etc/adduser.conf or /usr/sbin/adduser or /usr/sbin/addgroup again?
Or should I just delete them?  Shadow came with replacements for all of
these, like useradd and groupadd etc, right?  (I can't remember where to
find a list of all the files those packages made...)

Here's a quick question: Why is my /home g+s staff?
drwxrwsr-x   4 root     staff        1024 Mar 19 23:05 /home/

Here's another quick question:  I have an Iomega Zip drive, and
occasionally I get the message:
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda4
when mounting.  Is there a command out there somewhere to write
protect/unprotect disks?  And why is it sda4 instead of sda1?  (Ooops, I
guess that's two questions!)

Oh, I'd just like to mention that setting up tty-snoops to automatically
snoop ttyp1 on tty7 (virtual console 7) all the way through ttyp6/tty12 is
REALLY handy!  I can spy on peoples with a press of a buttons! :)

One of the main reasons I'm using zsh is because I love it's command
completion and expansion behaviour, for example, **/* for every directory
and subdirectory and everything within.  I often use grep "something"
**/*.  My question is, is there a way to either remove the actual
directories from the listing, or mute the "grep: blah: Is a directory"
message?  Or better yet, is there a program that will search my whole disk
(or at least all the data in a directory tree) for a word(s)?  Lately I've
just been saying grep "something" **/* | more; so that all the grepped
stuff will end up at the bottom and not mixed in with the "grep: blah: Is
a directory" message.

Anyway, that's it for today.....Well, for this morning at least...  Well
untill I reboot, okay?? :)  Thanks again everyone