Re: Problem with Smail

On Mar 20, Hamish Moffatt wrote
> > It is. Due to unclarity wrt ITAR for packages with hooks for crypto,
> > such as mutt, the Debian mutt packages resides on debian-non-US sites
> > nowadays. I've reported a bug against ftp.debian.org to get the old
> > package removed.
>
> Which is odd, because the mutt web page states that the author (who
> resides in the US), does not want mutt exported from the US.  Odd that
> Debian takes it outside the US, and then won't let it be exported back. As
> I understand it, you should be able to import mutt (or any such weapons
> :-) just fine, but not re-export it.

It is difficult to prevent such re-export. My preferred way would be to have
'US-only' sites, where you can get mutt, pgp-us etc., but which take some
precautions, say like the mutt homesite does (you can download mutt from the
homesite from outside the US, but it resides in a subdir of an unreadable
US-only directory, whose name is in the README.us-only, thus making sure
that you are aware of the problems).

> I tried to get 0.65 (beta) to compile here on Solaris, but none of the US
> sites would let me have it and none of the non-US sites had it yet.

I always put a copy on
	ftp://ftp.wi.LeidenUniv.nl/pub/linux/devel-ray

Greetings,
Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig