Re: pointing device on Toshiba Satellite 110CS

On Mar 19,  8:38, Karsten Bolding wrote:

> On a Toshiba Satellite 110CS I would like to be able to use the
> pointing deviec situated on the keyboard instead of an external
> mouse attached to the serial port, which I want that to use for a
> modem. The info I'm after is the device and protocol to enter in
> XF86Setup.  I guess I have to recompile the kernel with the proper
> support?

Karsten,

The AccuPoint "eraser tip pointer thingy" (which I expected to hate,
but learned to love) on my Toshiba 730 is just a regular PS/2 mouse.
You can use
  Protocol "PS/2"
  Device "/dev/psaux"
in your "Pointer" Section.

I used to use gpm a lot back when I had a machine on which X was slow,
but now I rarely leave X.  Still, I want gpm available on those rare
occasions that I use the console, and the 2.0 kernels only allow one
user of /dev/psaux at a time, so I run gpm with
  gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -R
(`-R' setting up the repeater).  I then put
  Protocol "MouseSystems"
  Device "/dev/gpmdata"
in my XF86Config, and the mouse works great both in X and on the
console.  (I understand that gpm's `-M' switch will even allow you to
use two pointers simultaneously.)

You will, of course, want to add
 Emulate3Buttons
 Emulate3Timeout     50
to your XF86Config.  I find that I use mouse-2 in X much more than
mouse-3, so I run
  xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2
to swap the two.  The one exception is that I use mouse-3 (WindowList)
against the fvwm2 background much more than I do mouse-2, so I added
  Mouse 2 R A WindowList
  Mouse 3 R A Menu Window-Ops
to my ~/.fvwm2/post.hook to swap those two.

Email me if you need more details.

Kirk Hilliard