Swap partition out of control

Over the last couple of days, I have been noticing that I have been
getting "Out of Memory" errors that I never got before.

I just looked at my free output and it showed 18M of swap used, after
running "swapoff /dev/hda3" and then "swapon /dev/hda3", it showed 10M
used.  I also have a second swap partition on another drive.

One other symptom.  I saw a message on tty7 saying:

INIT: Id "s2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

The process with id 2 is kflushd.  What is kflushd?

The only thing I can think of that has changed is that I switched from my
own installation of Netscape to Brian White's, which allowed Java applets
to work (thanks Brian).  Could Java applets cause a memory leak?  Or is
something else wrong here?

Steve Tonnesen
tonnesen@cmsd.bc.ca