Re: Upgrading from slackware to debian

On 18 Mar 1997, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to upgrade from slackware to debian, and
> keep most of my system. Is there an easy way to do this, or should I
> just fdisk the thing and start all over?
>
> Any suggestions?

Move any packages or libraries that you wish to keep, even if it is only
for the transition (you will need to move all the standard libraries and
ld.so for the transition), into /usr/local. You should also probably
include a copy of /home and any other "specific" directories you might
want to recover, like; /dev and /etc.
You then need to obtain the non-debian source for dpkg. Once you have this
compiled and running, you need to "carefuly" install the base system,
using dpkg -i. Start with ld.so and libc5 and the rest should go smoothly.
>From there it is just a matter of installing what you want. You may also
find that many of the packages you "saved" in /usr/local are easier to
manage in their Debian packages.
There was a recent report of someone doing this conversion on a RedHat
system, so I suspect Slackware should be upgradable as well.
Keep us informed of your progress.

Luck,

Dwarf