yaq (yet another question)

ok.. update on how my system is going

i can launch remote applications (xhost + <machine name> ) worked
	the machines i am connecting to are in my research lab, so people
	messing with my display is not a major concern to me

netscape 3.01 is up and running no problems

i still can't mount remote file systems, but i think that is because the
fle system isn't being exported to me and it will be a while before he
(the sysadmin) can make that change

now for the question...
i am using xdm to launch an x-server as soon as i boot the machine, this
x-server starts in 8 bit color, and i don't seem to be able to get it to
switch to 16 bit color no matter how hard i try. (the card is a #9FX Motion
771 w/ 2mb of ram so it will support the higher colordepth)  if i switch
to another virtual console, log in and try and start an x-server i get an
error about display 0 being locked, so to the Xservers file (i think) i
added the line

	:1 local ????

something like that.. (don't have it in front of me) basically i took the
line above it specifying display 0 and changed the 0 to 1 and retyped the line
directly below it.  now what happens is that the xdm x-server can't start, well
i get the background but no login prompt, i can switch to another virtual
console and start another xserver using

	startx -- -bpp 16

and have no problems with it, however on one of the virtual consoles (usually
#2) the xdm server is complaining repeatedly that it can't open the display.

this works (gets me an X-server with 16bit color) but it is ugly, is there
a way that i can force the xdm server to start in 16bit color mode?  i have
tried just about every option in xf86config and just can't get it to work.

thanks for all your help in the past, and in advance for all your help in
the future

-nathan
--
D. Nathan Hood            nhood@unlgrad1.unl.edu    UNL Dept. Of Chemistry
Teaching Assistant         Network Administrator       Chemical Superfreak