Security Issue

I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems that any file owned by
someone else and in one of my directories can be deleted by me even
if I don't have the proper permissions to do so. I also can rename the
file, but I can't alter the file. This holds true even if the file
is owned by root.

Is this normal ?

If so, what things can I do to someone elses file thats in one of my
directories , just delete or rename the file ?

As root, what if I want to keep a file in someones directory without them
deleteing it ?  As I see it now, that can't be done ?!?!?

Matthew