Re: Security Issue

Matthew Tebbens typed:

> I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems that any file owned by
> someone else and in one of my directories can be deleted by me even
> if I don't have the proper permissions to do so. I also can rename the
> file, but I can't alter the file. This holds true even if the file
> is owned by root.
>
> Is this normal ?
Yes this is normal.  The permissions for deleting the file are contained in
the directory.  If you can write to a directory, then you can delete files
in that directory.

> If so, what things can I do to someone elses file thats in one of my
> directories , just delete or rename the file ?
It depends on the permissions of the file.

> As root, what if I want to keep a file in someones directory without them
> deleteing it ?  As I see it now, that can't be done ?!?!?
Not really, unless you revoke write privledges in that directory.  What are
you trying to do here?  It sounds like you are going the wrong way about it.

  - Craig

--
  // /\   |  | |  Craig Small VK2XLZ     @home: csmall@gonzo.triode.net.au
  \\ \/   |  | |  finger csmall@triode.net.au for PGP key!