Re: Linux new comer waiting for help

>I am a new comer of Unix/Linux. I am trying to install Debian Linux on
>my portable, HP OmniBook 5000CTS. I have downloaded the base disks, and
>have successfully installed the base system. My questions are:
>
>1) I am using a PCMCIA Xircom CE-IIps network card. It doesn't seem to
>work. It works find in Win95/NT.

Umh, not surprising, from the PCMCIA-HOWTO

  Xircom does not share technical information about its cards without a
  non-disclosure agreement.  This means that it is not really possible
  to develop freely distributable drivers for Xircom cards without doing
  legally dubious things like reverse engineering DOS drivers.

  Recently, Xircom seems to have had a change of heart about their non-
  disclosure policy, and it now seems that this information will be more
  readily available in the future.  However, please do not pester me
  with questions about Xircom cards: drivers will be announced when they
  become available, and I will not try to guess when that will be.

  The Xircom CreditCard Ethernet+Modem II card can be used as a modem
  under Linux, with no special configuration.

You will also find that the Xircom Creditcard Netwave Adapter is supported,
as well as the modem *only* cards. Try selling it and buying a card listed
in SUPPORTED.CARDS

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard,