Re: GNU/Linux 1.2, help please!

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, val.tamarov wrote:

> Hi there!
> Thanks for reading this!
> Need help !!!
> I just got myself GNU/Linux 1.2 from sunsite.unc.edu and I was trying to
> install it on my computer.
> I have Pentium Pro 200Mhz, 2.12GB, 452Kb hard drives and 40 Mb of RAM. I am
> currently using System Commander to separate operating systems. I had
> win95, DOS 6.22 as my boot options before installing Linux. Then I
> installed Linux on drive D (452Mb), and everything was fine. After
> rebooting I got new boot option : "Linux" (cool), but when I tried to boot
> to Linex System Commander gave me an error message:
> "The selected operating system appears to have a defective boot record. The
> normal boot signature is missing". There was an option to "Boot as-is",
> when I clicked on it my PC just stopped doing any thing. Then I rebooted
> from bootable floppy which I created during Linux installation, and
> everything went fine. Linux booted from floppy and I was prompted to create
> an boot password, then create regular account, user name and password for
> it, and dselect. So I assumed that booting from floppy is doing fine and I
> installed Linux properly.  Then I rebooted again from Rescue disk and went
> right to option "Make Linux bootable from hard disk" and got message "LILO
> wasn't able to install. You'll still be able to boot your system if you
> create a boot floppy but it won't be able to boot without a floppy. The
> most common reason for LILO to fail is an over-large root ("/") partition.
> LILO is unable read any block of the kernel from a disk cillinder numbered
> higher than 1023. This is often a problem with disk larger than a Gigabyte
> or so. One way to solve the problem is to make a separate "/" and "/usr"
> disk partition, so that the entire "/" partition will be below the 1023
> cillinder".  I checked my hard disks and 2.12GB has 1023 cillinders and
> 452KB has 1018 cillinders. But I decided to repartitioned my disk anyway.
> So I created 50KB partition on drive D as root and I marked it "Bootable",
> 350KB partition as /usr, 52KB partition as swap and reinstalled the Linux
> from very beginning, but the same problem occur. I still be able to boot it
> from boot floppy but not from the HD.

Do you still get the same error message from Lilo when you try to install
it after the repartitioning?  Could you send me the contents of your
/etc/lilo.conf please?
I do have System Commander installed, and running with no problems, so it
looks like this is not where the problems are coming from.

__
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman                                             igor@vaca.net