Re: GNU/Linux 1.2, help please!

From: "Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com>
To: Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org, "val.tamarov" <val.tamarov@mci2000.com>
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux 1.2, help please!

Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: "val.tamarov" <val.tamarov@mci2000.com>
> > So I created 50KB partition on drive D as root and I marked it "Bootable",
> > 350KB partition as /usr, 52KB partition as swap
>
> Your file /etc/lilo.conf should look like this, given that drive D is on
> the first IDE controller (most systems don't have a second IDE controller,
> so it probably is).
>
> I hate to nit-pick but... All Intel Triton MBs have dual IDE
> controllers (which accounts for a quite large proportion of the
> Pentium boxes out there).

Yes. I have one of those. I trust the user to know if they have one, but
I guess it's appropriate to say that if your system has _two_ jacks for
IDE cables on the motherboard, or shows other signs of handling more than
two IDE disks, you might have two controllers. The mapping would be:

	Primary controller, master drive:   hda
	Primary controller, slave drive:    hdb
	Secondary controller, master drive: hdc
	Primary controller, slave drive:    hdd

It's also appropriate to build your kernel with Triton support if you have
that chipset. It makes the disk transfers use DMA, which is often faster
and concurrent with CPU operation.

Is the SCSI mapping still by order-of-detection rather than fixed by drive
ID? That really bothers me.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502