Re: X crashes when switching from VC

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Heikki Vatiainen wrote:

> I have noticed almost the same behaviour. When I change from a VC back to X
> and right after that use the accelerator keys (Alt-Left, Alt-Right) to change
> between virtual desktops I usually get thrown back to a VC.
[...]
> I use Matrox Mill. 4MB with 24bit 1280x1024 and SVGA server version 3.2A. The
> exactly same things happened with the 3.2 server too.
>
> Brian K Servis wrote:
>
> > Occasionally when I switch from a VC back to X(alt-f7) and try and use
> > the mouse immediately X crashes and exits.

 I am using a Diamond Stealth 64 Trio64 w/2MB DRAM, just like Brian.
(Though I only run in 1024x768, 16bpp.) Anyway, the odd startup symptom
*I* note is that sometimes, when start up X and immediately launch an
rxvt, xearth (a neat background program) doesn't succeed in starting up.
The error messages (which I don't have handy) say something about a
'BadWindow'. If I don't launch an rxvt immediately, there are no problems.

 I can't see anything in common among these symptoms, but they are weird.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                (810)377-7735              inglesra@frc.com

  Modern inductive method: 1) Devise hypothesis. 2) Apply for grant.
 3) Perform experiments. 4) Revise data to fit hypothesis. 5) Publish.