Re: X crashes when switching from VC

I have noticed almost the same behaviour. When I change from a VC back to X
and right after that use the accelerator keys (Alt-Left, Alt-Right) to change
between virtual desktops I usually get thrown back to a VC. Though not always
the same VC I changed to X from. I have this gut feeling that it still tries
to change VCs even though it should be running under X, but I'm only guessing
here.

As far as I remember X has never chrashed. I also won't get thrown back to VC
if I _move_ the mouse. After I move the mouse the accelerator keys work just
fine.

I use Matrox Mill. 4MB with 24bit 1280x1024 and SVGA server version 3.2A. The
exactly same things happened with the 3.2 server too.

My mouse is a cheap 3-button logitech model in ttyS0 (COM1) and I use gpm.

Brian K Servis wrote:

> Occasionally when I switch from a VC back to X(alt-f7) and try and use
> the mouse immediately X crashes and exits.  If I don't use the mouse
> for a couple of seconds it does not crash.  I am running xdm but have
> had it happen when just starting X using xinit.  I am running gpm on
> the VC's.  The error message when it crashes is:
>
> "Fatal server error:
> Cannot open mouse (Device or resource busy)

I'm sorry I have no explanation or solution but I think we have something in
common going on.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland