Re: Background for fvwm2

Dennis Lundstr%F6m wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:08:44 +0100
> >From: Karlheinz Nolte <Karlheinz.Nolte@ks.sel.alcatel.de>
> >To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> >Subject: Background for fvwm2
>
> >Hi Debians,
> >
> >I have here a Debian GNU/Linux 1.2.2. It works fine for me so far.
> >
> >Yesterday I tried to apply a background picture (a GIF File) for the
> >fvwm window manager. As you can read in the file
> >/usr/doc/fvwm2/debian.README.sysrc you have only to put a file
> >background.gif either in the directory /etc/X11/fvwm2 or in ~/.fvwm2
> >
> >But this dosn't work. Of course I restarted fvwm2. Nothing happend.
> >
> >Have I do additional things?
> >
> >Hoping for help,
> >Karlheinz
> >--
> >
> hmm,i never tried fvwm2 , but i think you ought to check your system.fvwm2rc.
> Im not to sure that fvwm can handle GIF´s, but you can allways
> download xloadimage from sunsite.unc.edu, end use a JPG file.
>
> Have fun !! 8)
>
> --Dennis

Hi again,

according to the file /usr/doc/fvwm2/debian.README.sysrc it is possible
to have a GIF file as background. Here is a part of the README:

-------
  background.xpm
  background.jpg
  background.gif
  background.color
  background.list
    These files define the screen background (root window).
    They are searched for in order, and only the first
    one is used.  (Also, for this case only, the user
    hook is searched for before the system administrator,
    because otherwise a user could not override the background).

    background.xpm, background.jpg and background.gif
    should be the graphic files themselves (or a symbolic
    link to them).

    The background.color file should contain one line that
    gives the name of a color.  The background will then
    be set to that color.
-------

So I think to try an JPG file would not be the solution.
Because no error message is displayed, I assume the problem is to find
the "picture" file.

Still hoping for help ...
--
Karlheinz Nolte, VS/ETB5, ALCATEL SEL AG
D-70430 Stuttgart, Germany