Re: Cannot get full speed download on ppp

> I don't what i have done to my system. Recently i found that my
> download speed from our server at most can give me 2.6k byte/s ftp.

You should try two things:
1) Use hdparm to optimize the performance of your disks.  I recomend
   the '-u' option to unmask the IRQ for data transfers.  Be careful
   with this, as it (supposedly) has been known not to work on some
   systems and causes severe data corruption.
2) Use irqtune to give the serial port the highest priority.

> I used to be able to
> get 3.1K bytes/s downloading  compressed file.
I really don't know why you used to be able to get this performance,
but no longer (unless you just happened to hit a really busy time of
day, and your ISP couldn't get data fast enough).  My 386-40, with an
old 8250 uart and external 28.8 modem, can get thru-put of 2.8ish for
transfers.  This generates about 6000 interupts per second, and pretty
much pushes the limits of the old hardware (a newer 16550 uart would
help by greatly reducing the number of interupts).
I'm slightly confused by your situation, because you really should
have no problems with a p-133 and internal modem or 16550 uart on the
serial port.
Anyway, try it, and if it helps....

Good luck,
--