Re: Cannot get full speed download on ppp

Thank you John,

Just more info about it. Last night i did not give up and tried any
BIOS settings i could think of but still the problem existed except
when i tried:

   chdir to /extra ( this is on /dev/hdc1 )
   tried a ftp session to retrieve a zipped file - lo and behold, i
   can download it ( 300K size ) at 3.1K bytes per second.
   quit to session and cd to my home directory ( /dev/hda )
   started a ftp session and download the same file to that directory
   BAD now, the transfer rate  was 2.6 K bytes per second.

This could mean that there are some problems with my /dev/hda which is
a quantum fireball 1G disk. So far i did not get bad sectors in dos,
linux always started and said disks clean. PS: the drive on /dev/hdc
is an old Maxtor 345 M harddisk (ATA mode 2 ).

I may try your suggestions later and hope that will solve download
problem.

Regards.
Paul

--