Cannot get full speed download on ppp

Hi,

I don't what i have done to my system. Recently i found that my
download speed from our server at most can give me 2.6k byte/s ftp.

After an ftp session, ifconfig tells me that ppp0 has 'n' rx errors and
'n' dropped where n can be 5, 6 or 7 etc  ( the bigger the file
download the larger n is. During downloading, i carefully looked at
the modem RD lamp. I saw it flashing all the time and when i hear
hard disk access, the RD lamp then stops for a part of a second and
continues. It appears to me that when there is disk access the system
will miss some data pumping in from the modem. I used to be able to
get 3.1K bytes/s downloading  compressed file.

There have been a few changes to my system:

1. a few debian packages update (but i cannot remember what).
2. an upgrade of video adapter from et4000 to S3 pci adapter.

Current system running:

debian 1.1 with some package update ( libc5.4 ).
kernel 2.0.27
amd586 133Mhz with 16M ram
1G /dev/hda and 345M /dev/hdc (secondary ide channel master ) - this
has not been changed for many months.

Could anybody shed some light on my problem?

Cheers.
Paul