Re: cannot run dpkg anymore

>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
Craig>
Craig> try running 'ldconfig' (you need to be root to do this).
Craig>
Craig> from the man page:
Craig>
Craig>     DESCRIPTION
Craig>            ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache (for use by
Craig>            the run-time linker, ld.so)  to  the  most  recent  shared
Craig>            libraries  found  in the directories specified on the com­
Craig>            mand line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted
Craig>            directories  (/usr/lib  and  /lib).
Craig>
Craig> my guess is that libc5_5.4.20 didn't install correctly for some reason
Craig> and ldconfig was not run to update the shared lib links.

I did run ldconfig as part of my manual installation of ld.so.

Craig> If this doesn't help, try booting with your rescue/install disk and
Craig> updating the /lib/libc.so.5 sym link by hand - in the worst case, you
Craig> may need to copy the libc5 from the rescue disk onto the hard disk
Craig> before creating the sym link - then reboot and immediately install a new
Craig> libc5 with dpkg.

Thank you for the suggestion.  All links seem to be OK in my lib
directories.

Finally i found the problem : the file /etc/ld.so.conf did not contain
/lib and /usr/lib anymore, but as soon as i added those directories,
dpkg worked again.

--
Laurent.