Re: cannot run dpkg anymore

On 7 Mar 1997, Laurent Bonnaud wrote:

> after upgrading (successfully) to libc5_5.4.20 and ld.so_1.8.9, the
> commands "dpkg -l" and "dpkg -i abc.deb" fail with the error message
> (i'm citing from memory as my machine is not connected to a network) :
>
> dpkg : cannot resolve symbol 'sysinfo'.
>
> The command "dpkg --version" works, though. I tried to upgrade "by
> hand" to ld.so_1.8.10 and dpkg_1.4.0.8 but it does not solve the
> problem. All other binaries run well. Does anyone have a solution ?

try running 'ldconfig' (you need to be root to do this).

from the man page:

    DESCRIPTION
           ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache (for use by
           the run-time linker, ld.so)  to  the  most  recent  shared
           libraries  found  in the directories specified on the com­
           mand line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted
           directories  (/usr/lib  and  /lib).

my guess is that libc5_5.4.20 didn't install correctly for some reason
and ldconfig was not run to update the shared lib links.

If this doesn't help, try booting with your rescue/install disk and
updating the /lib/libc.so.5 sym link by hand - in the worst case, you
may need to copy the libc5 from the rescue disk onto the hard disk
before creating the sym link - then reboot and immediately install a new
libc5 with dpkg.

craig