Re: A young girl lost her puppy

Inspite of the &(/%/%$ subject...:

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Thought wrote:
>2) Currently I have 6 Virtual Console lines in my inittab, but I've heard
>that there's a way to only have one of those lines, and to be able to
>create Virtual Consoles on demand by pressing Alt-Uparrow or something.
>Is there a way to do this?
Not really dynamically.

You could add a single console by
a) binding e.g. alt-up to Spawn_Console
by changing
 keycode 103 = Up
keycode 103 = Up
        alt     keycode 103 = Spawn_Console

b) editing /etc/inittab and replacing
#kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let this work."
by
kb::kbrequest:/sbin/getty 9600 tty4

This gives you a console on tty4 whenever you press Alt-Uparrow

The number of consoles where you get a login is determined in /etc/inittab
by lines of the form:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty2
#3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty3
You could comment out those you don't need, or add some. You need init to
reread this file after you changed it by saying
  init q

>3) Speaking of Alt-Uparrow, is this the same thing as 'kbrequest' in
>inittab
Yes.

>, and why doesn't either of them work?  Is there a way I can bind
>keys to make initd do commands?
Yes, Spawn_Console. See above.
man keytables and man dumpkeys shed some light here

>4) Is there a way to disable the Visual-Bell? A lot of my programs (like
>less) have options to turn off the bell, but they say "If your console has
>a Visual Bell, it will be used instead."  Well that stupid flashing is
>even more annoying than the bell I'm trying to get rid of! :)  Is there a
>way to disable the Visual Bell?
if you run X you can make everything quiet by
  xset b off

On the console, many programs (like less) become quiet with a line
  set bell-style none
in your ~/.inputrc

Nils

--
     \              /                        | Nils Rennebarth
    --* WINDOWS 42 *--                       | Schillerstr. 61
   Micro$oft's final answer                  | http://www.nus.de/~nils