Re: Laodable Modules

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Rob MacWilliams wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile a custom kernel for the usual reasons.  I am not seeing any errors during the
> compile, installation or boot phases, but some of the modules won't install.  Here are the steps I took
> to compile the kernel:
>
> mv /lib/modules/2.0.27 /lib/modules/2.0.27.old
> mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old

I don't do this.

> cd /usr/include
> mv asm asm.old
> mv linux linux.old
> mv scsi scsi.old
>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
>
> (linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27 it was a link to
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.0.27 but both give the same errors)

These links should not be made with Debian.

> make mrproper
> make xconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz

Rather than this cp (and the previous mv) you can use "make install".
Then remove the modules.dep before rebooting and depmod is done
automatically.

> edit /etc/lilo.conf so I have a backdoor if this crashes
> run LILO
>
> edit /etc/modules so that only auto is uncommented
>
> reboot
> login as root
> $depmod -a
>
> $insmod psaux

Why have the mouse built as a module?

> misc_register undefined
> misc_deregister undefined

This may be because you didn't copy the System.map along with vmlinuz.
BTW I copy both to /boot and use links from / (if only because that's
how the installation system was set up.

> $modprobe psaux
> Initialization of psaux failed
>
> $insmod misc
> $insmod psuax
> Cannot open /lib/modules/misc/psuax.o
>
> Checking the datestamp confirms that it was compiled along with the other modules that work.
> psaux isn't the only module that fails to load, but hpfs and ppp work fine.  I can dig through all of the
> modules and see exactly which ones work and which ones don't if that would help.  If an strace of
> insmod would help I can include that also, but that would have made this message huge.
> All of the important parts of the system are Debian/GNU.

Can you shorten your lines, please.

> Any clues?  I'm relativly new at this, but having a great time learning all of the ins and outs.
>
> Thanks

> "Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it kills all of it's students"
>
> Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
> N9NPU

I hope that's a little help. Good luck.

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151