Re: Laodable Modules

<snip>

> > mv /lib/modules/2.0.27 /lib/modules/2.0.27.old
> > mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old
>> I don't do this.

Belt and suspenders.  When I mess around with something as important as the kernel, I like
to be able to undo what I did easily.

<snip>

> > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
> >
> > (linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27 it was a link to
> > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.0.27 but both give the same errors)
>
> These links should not be made with Debian.

The top level README in the kernel source said I should make them and I couldn't
find any contradictory info in the Documentation or debian sub-dir.  The Headers.gz
file seems to say either way should work.  The docs in /usr/docs seem to be silent on
this.  I'm not sure it hurts anything, especially if I put them back before I try and compile
anything else.

<snip>

> > cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz
>
> Rather than this cp (and the previous mv) you can use "make install".
> Then remove the modules.dep before rebooting and depmod is done
> automatically.

I didn't see any docs on make install.

<snip>

> Why have the mouse built as a module?

Belt and suspenders again :-).  I'm trying to free up my serial ports for other uses and
the psaux port is giving me troubles on all 3 OS's.  (Win 3.1, OS/2 and Linux)

> > misc_register undefined
> > misc_deregister undefined
>
> This may be because you didn't copy the System.map along with vmlinuz.
> BTW I copy both to /boot and use links from / (if only because that's
> how the installation system was set up.

BINGO I'm almost positive this is my real problem, because I didn't do it.

> Can you shorten your lines, please.
Sorry, TkMail gives me a default window that is probably too big for yours.  It also doesn't
auto wrap, so I'm doing this by eye.

> I hope that's a little help. Good luck.

More than a little help, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Thank you.
I'll fix the System.map and report back to the list.

> --
> David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
> U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151

"Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it kills all of it's students"

Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
N9NPU