Laodable Modules

Hi all,

I am trying to compile a custom kernel for the usual reasons.  I am not seeing any errors during the
compile, installation or boot phases, but some of the modules won't install.  Here are the steps I took
to compile the kernel:

mv /lib/modules/2.0.27 /lib/modules/2.0.27.old
mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old

cd /usr/include
mv asm asm.old
mv linux linux.old
mv scsi scsi.old

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

(linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27 it was a link to
/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.0.27 but both give the same errors)

make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install

cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz

edit /etc/lilo.conf so I have a backdoor if this crashes
run LILO

edit /etc/modules so that only auto is uncommented

reboot
login as root
$depmod -a

$insmod psaux
misc_register undefined
misc_deregister undefined

$modprobe psaux
Initialization of psaux failed

$insmod misc
$insmod psuax
Cannot open /lib/modules/misc/psuax.o

Checking the datestamp confirms that it was compiled along with the other modules that work.
psaux isn't the only module that fails to load, but hpfs and ppp work fine.  I can dig through all of the
modules and see exactly which ones work and which ones don't if that would help.  If an strace of
insmod would help I can include that also, but that would have made this message huge.
All of the important parts of the system are Debian/GNU.

Any clues?  I'm relativly new at this, but having a great time learning all of the ins and outs.

Thanks

"Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it kills all of it's students"

Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
N9NPU