Re: turning off computer

The easiest way to have a shutdown command that the other members of your
family can use with out giving the root password out is this:
Step #1 - create a shutdown user and password ( you don't have to put the
          password in if you don't want to )
step #2 - change the field right after the password field (I think it is
          called the group field to 0 which is root access)
step #3 - edit the .bash_profile to execute the shutdown command (ie in
	  /sbin/shutdown -h now)
I hope this helps.
Paul McDermott