turning off computer

Is there a way for a user without root priveleges to cleanly unmount the
root file system and shutdown the computer?

I've been running 'init 0' as root before turning off the box, but I
don't want to have to give out the root password to my family (it's bad
enough that I know it!) just so they can turn the thing off when I'm not
around.  We'd rather not leave it on when it is not in use.

Thanks,
Rikki

  If you have already paid your bill, please disregard this notice.