Re: IMPORTANT: RSA Data Security Challenge participants please read

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Karl Ferguson wrote:

> At 07:03 PM 25/02/97 PST, Bruce Perens wrote:
> >It was OK for us to participate as "debian@debian.org" in the RSA Data
> >Security Challenge as long as we didn't have any chance of beating
> >the "Linux" group. It looks as if we do have a chance. It would be real
> >embarassing to beat them. So please, if you are participating, change your
> >reporting address to "linux@linuxnet.org" NOW. I have asked the
> >statistics-keepers to add the figure for debian@debian.org to that for
> >linux@linuxnet.org .
>
> Why is it such a bad thing to beat the Linux group?  The whole idea is to
> increase the awareness of Debian Linux - when people see we're in the
> number 2 slot or even number 1, we'll have good publicity.
>
> I cannot see anything wrong with running under Debian - from a business
> point of view, if people don't hear of us and our popularity then we won't
> be open to such things and donations of powerful workstations and ports
> etc.  This is a *bad* idea IMO.

Yes.

So far the only thing that Bruce accomplished with his uncoordinated
action is that numerous hosts dropped entirely out of the key-search.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005