Re: IMPORTANT: RSA Data Security Challenge participants please read

At 07:03 PM 25/02/97 PST, Bruce Perens wrote:
>It was OK for us to participate as "debian@debian.org" in the RSA Data
>Security Challenge as long as we didn't have any chance of beating
>the "Linux" group. It looks as if we do have a chance. It would be real
>embarassing to beat them. So please, if you are participating, change your
>reporting address to "linux@linuxnet.org" NOW. I have asked the
>statistics-keepers to add the figure for debian@debian.org to that for
>linux@linuxnet.org .

Why is it such a bad thing to beat the Linux group?  The whole idea is to
increase the awareness of Debian Linux - when people see we're in the
number 2 slot or even number 1, we'll have good publicity.

I cannot see anything wrong with running under Debian - from a business
point of view, if people don't hear of us and our popularity then we won't
be open to such things and donations of powerful workstations and ports
etc.  This is a *bad* idea IMO.