Re: pine produces segmentation faults (fwd)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Corey Allert wrote:

> also Xfree86 doesn't run properly  .. . it will as root but as any other
> user X starts as if no window manager is set . .  and typing startx -exec
> fvwm2 will bring up the correct gui but there is no command prompt in the
> xterm . . . freaky eh??

Time to RTFM, there, Corey. I suggest a good X book, i.e. X User's Guide
by O'Reilly (volume 3 in the X series.)
The reason why this isn't working is because your users don't have a
.xinitrc that contains a windows manager. Suggest you build a skeleton
directory with a proper .xinitrc file, or edit the systemwide xinitrc to
include a standard WM. As for the xterm bit, you're probably getting weird
behaviour because the xterm probably doesn't have an & attached to it in
whatever startup file you have.... Probably also your systemwide xinitrc
doesn't have th proper read permissions if your root directory contains no
.xinitrc file. Finally, you shouldn't be running X as root.

This is probably in a FAQ.

Will

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.