Re: IMPORTANT: RSA Data Security Challenge participants please read

From: Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net>
> So far the only thing that Bruce accomplished with his uncoordinated
> action is that numerous hosts dropped entirely out of the key-search.

Big deal. They have years to go. We might ask ourselves some questions
about this kind of publicity.

1. Do we want it? Do we really want free software to be associated with
   code-breaking in the eyes of the uneducated public? I'm not sure that
   would not hurt us. Just think about the articles on a government code
   being broken using a "hacker" tool called "Debian". Also, some of the
   people participating most likely don't have permission to use their
   employer's machines for outside cryptography projects (I'm thinking of
   a certain person at a U.S. military facility). I don't want to be around
   when that gets exposed.

2. Does it hurt us in other ways? For example, will we be perceived
   as working against people we should be working with?

3. Are there better ways for us to spend our time? I sure think so.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502