Re: Unstable vs. Stable

On 24 Feb 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:
> Ed writes:
> > ...once I had a working system of X/lesstif/latex/gcc and a lot of utils
> > I couldn't see the point in upgrading.
>
> That's fine if you never intend to add any new packages.  If you do,
> eventually you will be forced to upgrade do to changes in libc, the kernel,
> perl, etc.  It is my understanding from what I've read on this list that it
> is pretty much impossible to upgrade an "old" installation like mine
> without re-installing.
> --

As far as I can deduce from the directory structure at Debian, you CAN get
new packages from the original release - minus all the updates - by taking
them from the 'rex' directory. As I understand it 'rex' still contains all
the packages (that were available then) as they were at the release of
1.2.0. So if you installed 1.2.0 you can still add new packages from there
without upgrade incompatibilities.

Ed  (Who welcomes being shown to be wrong on this subject...)